Why You’ll Love This Job
The Optical Sales Staff at Nilsen Eye Care are expected to assist patients in selecting the appropriate frame and lens to provide the best sight results possible including fitting and repairs. Optical sales staff must be able to: communicate well, retain information, and multitask in a high-volume work environment.
The essential functions of Optical Sales Staff include, but are not limited to:
- Recommend frames based on patient Rx, face shape, as well as current fashion trends
- Interpret Rx, understand meaning of sphere, cylinder, axis, and add power to ensure the patient is getting the right prescription.
- Understand basic lens optics and effectively communicate the qualities of different types of lenses including:
- Single Vision
- Near vs Distance vision only
- Understand how to adjust frames during the initial visit and during pick-up to ensure the comfort and fit to meet the patients’ needs.
- Schedule pick-ups with patients, ensuring the glasses are in-house and alerting patients when they are late.
- Ability to complete repairs to damaged frames in an efficient manner
- Assist in patient flow by efficiently and consistently responding to exam room pages
- Keep retail space clean and organized to leave a good impression with patients and so items can be found in a timely manner.
- Understand vision insurance, how to apply benefits and how to explain benefits to patients.
- Utilizes strong communication and customer service skills ensuring a positive patient experience.
- Embodies NEC values and leads by example including no negativity and embracing constant improvement
- Extra Helpful
Skills & Qualifications
Optical Sales Special Knowledge or Skills:
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Frame Board Management
- Multi-tasking and prioritizing skills
- Current knowledge of trends, services, and products in the optical industry
- Thorough knowledge of Managed Vision Care benefits
- Licensed optician or technical experience in optical industry
- Ability to sit for extended periods, mobility to show frame boards and full flexibility of arms and hands to complete optical tasks.
Type: Part Time (Hourly)